Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Increased Suspect/Civilians Count

More
4 years 5 days ago #1491 by Copy-Cat
Looking thru the de-compiled source code now to grasp how it is being done.

Update: Did the edits you made in the exe work? I am trying to replicate it and it crashes. Stepping out for a bit... but i will be back on TS in a few

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 days ago - 4 years 5 days ago #1492 by Slippery Jim
If that question was for me, nope. Too busy to work on this right now. Was hoping you guys would come up with the answers.

Still working on the "single player" screen fixes.

More
4 years 5 days ago #1493 by Copy-Cat
The 30 suspects is not a constant variable we cannot simply modify, it is written in the source code as the integer "30",

This is an excerpt from the de-compiled source code.
Code:
if (Count < 30) { if (Count < 1) { Count = 0; SomeFunction(); } if (Count < 30) SomeOtherFunction();

Even if we declare the variable and call it, we still would have to modify each of the 50+ compare functions to compare to new variable
Even if we were to call the variable from somewhere in an unused part of the exe, we still would have to modify each of the 50+ compare functions within the exe to compare to this value.

the code is in multiple spots, I suspect its for the different game modes we have, and they all will have to be considered if we modify one. Say COOP for instance, then you have to modify it for DEATHMATCH to.

Remember guys this will only have to be done once. This means a 1 hour job = hundreds of hours of gameplay community wide combined!

Another Idea is to create a patch, say we want to change the max later on.... we could launch the patch, input a number and let the patch change the values for us.

the OP's idea is a good one, don't get me wrong. but there isn't a quick fix.

More
4 years 5 days ago - 4 years 5 days ago #1494 by Slippery Jim
Hmm, in 20 years of having Swat 3 I probably have played a handful of non coop games. I didn't know that any mode other than Coop used the random objectives. Damn.

4 game modes with at least 2 checks of "30" for each game mode. Swat 3 probably has additional checks for LAN, Online, Mission, Custom Missions etc since it seems to handle those features as if they were different "game modes".

Maybe it isn't worth the effort if we can locate the method how custom scenarios were edited to allow more than 30. I swear I can remember this was a thing back in the day. We may just have to re-invent the wheel.

More
4 years 5 days ago - 4 years 5 days ago #1496 by DarkSynopsis

Update: Did the edits you made in the exe work? I am trying to replicate it and it crashes.

Seemed to work, I'll try a longer session of loading in/out of maps to see.

Edit:
Tried 10 maps no crashes.

Copy-Cat wrote: Even if we declare the variable and call it, we still would have to modify each of the 50+ compare functions to compare to new variable
Even if we were to call the variable from somewhere in an unused part of the exe, we still would have to modify each of the 50+ compare functions within the exe to compare to this value.

the code is in multiple spots, I suspect its for the different game modes we have, and they all will have to be considered if we modify one. Say COOP for instance, then you have to modify it for DEATHMATCH to.

This is why the hex edit I posted was so long, I did modify the compare value each time it was called, though I did only test this in COOP on LAN, didn't think it would be different per mode.

Edit:
Tested, my edit works for all modes online/offline.

Here is a link to the current swat.exe I have going for the 60 Suspects/Civilians, is for 1920x1080 using the Beta LR Build with Increased Draw Distance if anyone wants to mess with it.

More
4 years 5 days ago - 4 years 5 days ago #1497 by Slippery Jim
I was right and wrong at same time. Wasn't Gilly but I swear he did some app for scenarios

SWAT3 30+ Character Scenario Generator v1.6

Author: TPC_FOUNDER_FRODO
Release date: April 24, 2002
Filename: swat3_30+_scenario_gen.zip

Description:
This small program will allow the user to generate scenarios with as many characters as desired. Suspects & civilians will be allowed to randomly spawn everywhere other than the SWAT start location. Also, weapons will be randomly selected and behaviours randomly chosen upon creation. You can litterally create 10 scenarios in a few seconds.

web.archive.org/web/20030129162140/http:...fileinfo.asp?id=1260

So I guess the trick was that the game doesn't do a check on loaded scenarios and this was just a simple tool make new scenarios but without the number check.

UPDATE: Maybe I am recalling wrong and this was Gily's mod:

web.archive.org/web/20030515235552/http:.../fileinfo.asp?id=952

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds