Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Start up crash with error code 58

More
2 years 2 months ago #2642 by ElecMan
Sorry I meant I never see the damage bar even if I take damage. (Same for bottom right orange/red steady/dynamic guy, it's not displayed in 1080). And I didn't toggle TOC conversations.
If I use 1600x900 every thing appears. No I have only one monitor (it's a laptop).

Do you have any idea about the DDERR_GENERIC error still on movies play?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #2643 by Slippery Jim
I would love to continue to troubleshoot your machine (if you are interested) because it isn't often I get so many unique problems with the mod. Usually people disappear after a few posts and I never get a chance to learn and solve these unique problems.

I never see the damage bar even if I take damage. (Same for bottom right orange/red steady/dynamic guy, it's not displayed in 1080)...If I use 1600x900 every thing appears. No I have only one monitor (it's a laptop)

The Last Resort mod doesn't change those two items to cause this problem. If you toggle the mod off (top right toggle button on the launcher) you will still be able to choose 1920x1080 in 3D with "vanilla" Swat 3.  If you still get the problem after this it is proof the problem isn't the mod itself.

turn this button to the off position

I have some followup questions to learn more about your laptop:

1) Do you have a dedicated video card in the laptop or is it an onboard video chip? Is it Nvidia or AMD?
2) Do you have dgVoodoo installed?
3) What is the native resolution of your laptop screen?

Do you have any idea about the DDERR_GENERIC error still on movies play?

Not yet. It sounds like your replacement XVID movies used to work but now they don't when you installed the new version of the mod. Is this correct? Or did your movies never work on Windows 10 for you?

I didn't toggle TOC conversations

Just to be clear the key I am talking about only toggles on/off the orange dialog from characters. I think the TOC blue text is always there and can't be toggled on/off.

More
2 years 2 months ago #2644 by ElecMan
Sure I'm in!
My native resolution is 1920 x 1080 60Hz. I have an integrated card, an Intel UHD Graphics 620 (i5-8365U). Windows and every drivers are up to date.

I tried with vanilla swat 3 in 1920 x 1080 and it's the same.
One thing that may be I didn't noticed before: in 1920 x 1080 the reticle is not centered on the screen.. Likely the bottom and right part of the screen is overflowing somewhere. (last resort ON or OFF).
It's not a big deal as it works fine in 1600x900. May be a aspect ratio issue?

Not yet. It sounds like your replacement XVID movies used to work but now they don't when you installed the new version of the mod. Is this correct? Or did your movies never work on Windows 10 for you?

No it never worked on win10 (was Ok on my previous win7 laptop). I also tried to manually copy provided movies files into Swat directory.

Then to be sure to have a clean install I restarted all from scratch (swat 3, 2.1 patch, last mod version). I selected movies replacement in new MOD version.
It's odd because I can play files with the native windows player.

I tried dgVoodoo with the v0.7.4 but not sure the setup was correct. I will retry with the video you provided and let you know.

Just to be clear the key I am talking about only toggles on/off the orange dialog from characters. I think the TOC blue text is always there and can't be toggled on/off.

Yes sure.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #2645 by Slippery Jim
You are giving me some good detailed info.

Onboard video chips on laptops are a bit of a challenge sometimes with legacy gaming (AMD chips even more so).

If the Last Resort mod is toggled OFF and the game is still misbehaving (such as an offset reticle) that is a problem more with the game itself and/or your computer.

That is very odd that your laptop would have the reticle offset for 1920x1080 but not 1600x900. Both are 16:9 aspect ratio.

No it never worked on win10 (was Ok on my previous win7 laptop).

Ah okay. Microsoft has declared the Indeo Video codec to be a security issue so generally on Windows 10 systems it appears to be de-activated. Swat 3's movies were encoded with this 30 year old codec.

Question for you: have you installed a third party codec pack at any point on your Windows 10 system?

Below is a link for instructions how to install DgVoodoo and gives the settings that work for me:

www.swat3lastresort.info/index.php/fix-framerate-problems

More
2 years 2 months ago #2646 by ElecMan
Thanks for the link! I now understand why it didn't worked before, I used to copy the 64bit dll instead of 32bits as my system is 64bits.
But sure, swat 3 was indeed in 64bits. It works but can't force 1080x1920, I will dig into the parameters.

About the movies, I don't understand why I still have the intro crash issue because I have the MPEG-4 variant of movies..
It's very frustrating because I can play some mission but not career mode :-/
I have VLC installed and I tried to install Xvid-1.3.7-20191228 codec.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #2647 by Slippery Jim

Thanks for the link! I now understand why it didn't worked before, I used to copy the 64bit dll instead of 32bits as my system is 64bits.
But sure, swat 3 was indeed in 64bits. It works but can't force 1080x1920, I will dig into the parameters.

Your post is confusing to read.

As far as I know, the DgVoodoo .dll files that you use should be the 32-bit versions to match Swat 3 since the game executable is 32-bit.

If your computer is 64-bit you can use the 64-bit version of the DgVoodoo configuration app "dgVoodooCpl.exe" but the 32-bit version might work just as well.

As for 1920x1080 I would recommend NOT forcing it with DgVoodoo (as shown in the recommended settings in my previous post).  Just let the Last Resort mod take care of the resolutions.

About the movies, I don't understand why I still have the intro crash issue because I have the MPEG-4 variant of movies..
It's very frustrating because I can play some mission but not career mode :-/
I have VLC installed and I tried to install Xvid-1.3.7-20191228 codec.

If you have installed the replacement MPEG-4 movies no extra codec is needed. Modern versions of Windows all support it perfectly.

It is possible the reason why your computer can't play the movies is because they are 640x480. You can play the movies in a media player such as VLC because it displays them in a window instead of trying to go to a proper full screen. Check on your laptop's video driver settings if you can enable 640x480 resolution (or even 800x600). With my laptop I had to manually tick a box in the driver to activate the lower resolutions.

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds