Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Reversing

• S4
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #2182 by S4
Reversing was created by S4
Just want to say lately I've noticed an explosion of reversing engineering projects for a number of notable games. Even GTA3 and Vice City (once something that we could only dream of) have been fully reversed (and are playable) by some very dedicated folks.  Here's a list of many current projects, this does not include everything that I've seen out there yet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engine_recreations

If they can do that much with those much more complex games, surely someone out there should be able to do SWAT3 right?

Perhaps that's something for Last Resort to pursue in the future. Put up a github, get ghidra, dump the raw code, start working on it and see if anyone else wants to get on board.

I'd do it myself, but I don't have the paitience, time, or coding experience to do that stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #2185 by Slippery Jim
Replied by Slippery Jim on topic Reversing
I would love for that to happen but remember they had several people that all knew reverse engineering and assembly language. That in itself is a special skillset.

Our community is unfortunately very small.

More
2 years 7 months ago #2413 by multihog
Replied by multihog on topic Reversing

Our community is unfortunately very small.

Small it may be, but I just want to let you know that your work is appreciated. You've done a big service to existing SWAT 3 fans and anyone who's interested in trying the game. I just wanted to say thanks for all the great work!

More
2 years 7 months ago #2426 by Slippery Jim
Mighty kind of you to say.

For me personally I just like tinkering with the game, and having a creative outlet. I get to code a little (the LR launcher) and do photoshop work (menus and new textures).

More
2 years 3 months ago #2522 by ggaston095
Replied by ggaston095 on topic Reversing
I was about to open a new thread about that.

What do we know about recycling the assets?

Is there a way to export swat3 maps or models to blender?

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #2523 by Slippery Jim
We do have the ability to import/export officer and character models into other formats.

Maps are a bit different story though because when they get compiled they get broken down into triangles (I lack 3D knowledge but I believe that is the proper explanation).   The Worldcraft editor uses brushes that are convex solids that get stored in a .RMF file but once it is compiled it is stored in .SCN format that is a combination of geometry, light maps, texture names, etc.

Some former members of the community had complete understanding of the .SCN format.   FurryCat was very close to understanding the file format but AlienAbducter I think really understood all aspects including how the light maps worked.   Unfortunately I think both of them have long moved on and have zero interest in helping with this.

All of Swat 3's assets are stored in .RES files which thankfully are just renamed .ZIP files.  The game was perfect for mod makers because only the source code was denied to us.  Graphics for the game are either .BMP or .TGA files (that allow a transparency layer).   Files that control the layout of menus and some of the game's configuration are .CON files, .DAT files, and .INI files (all are just glorified text files).

Moving the game to a different game engine entirely could open up other difficulties.

Swat 3 is similar to the Quake engine where the maps are ‘additive’ editing as opposed to “subtractive” editing which is used in Unreal and its derivatives.

(I had to Google that last sentence because I couldn't remember how to phrase it.  Look at me, mom!)

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds