Open Beta Test 2 - Last Resort Mod
Here is the second test build of the Last Resort mod that supports NeuWon and fixes all the remaining menus.
(link removed - please see Open Beta Test 3 thread instead)
Checksums (to comfirm file integrity):
Click here for instructions how to get online
Next Server test window:
shut down due to server issues
List of Known bugs:
* The "no menu" option doesn't work properly in multiplayer
* Server admin crashes the server when he exits
= Release History =
version 0.8.0 - December 18, 2020:
- LR Launcher code completely re-written in Visual Studio 2019
- Added NeuWon multiplayer support
- Added support for maximum 1024x1024 pixel Targa files
- Added 1366x768 2D menus
- Added ability to turn off custom menus with mod activated
- Removed some old resolutions (some possibly temporarily)
- Added double the view distance of original Swat 3
- Modified click sounds for LR Launcher
- Removed obsolete files needed to run the LR Launcher
- Re-organized the folder structure of LR mod files
- Fixed game executable checking and restoring
- Added startup suggestion of 32-bit colours
- New high resolution textures in Mission M (Phoenix Club)
- New high resolution textures in Mission Y (LA Convention)
Feel free to download and give me feedback if everything works for you.
The owner of NeuWon mentioned he is slowly working on a new version of his website to fix all the broken issues.
Thanks to flood6 two bugs discovered:
- an old copy of a file was not deleted by the installer
- "No Menu" option in multiplayer gives a CRC error (red warning error)
- revealed lack of clarity in the "get online with Swat 3" guide
Thanks to Dark Synopsis for testing the server crashes with me and some new mod fixes. His expertise with Swat has been valuable.
Okay new version of the mod with the fixes we discovered:
I don't think you actually need an account on the site to be setup for SWAT though right? I think just one made through the Account Wizard is what is needed? was mainly on the site since I recall it could generate a unique cd-key for you but I guess not atm >.<
Correct, all you need is the account wizard (and the Last Resort mod installed). It is mentioned in the guide at the top of this thread. Right now there is no way to retrieve your password so people need to write it down.
As for the crash ya it is something that needs to be fixed. Unfortunately Ben, the owner of NeuWon, is very busy. The server also gives us no feedback to what caused the crash. What we need is for people to report in the forums what they were doing on the server when it crashed. So far it looks like most of the crashes occur when someone logs out of the server.
Another big hurdle is communicating with Ben. He seems to be the mad scientist type that is hard to communicate with. For instance if I send him an email with 3 different thoughts he will only ever address one of them.
I was close to releasing and then decided to add new features and change a few things of how the mod works.
Presently I am pausing to give myself a few days to re-think some things.
Problem 1: The "no menu" feature isn't working as expected. It works fine in single player but for some crazy reason it gives a data file CRC error in multiplayer if you try to join other people's games (or they try to join yours). If I can't figure this out should I just completely remove this feature?
Problem 2: I wanted to remove the dynamic renaming of game executables but this revealed a new problem. It appears Windows 10 applies a shim to "swat.exe" that fixes the DDERR_GENERIC error on most people's machines. Installing the replacement XVID movies fixed this new problem but what is the more elegant solution? Which is the lesser evil?
I may have to remove the "no menu" feature because it would only work with single player and just create confusion. As for going back to dynamic renaming of Swat 3 I will have to do this because I don't want to create a new flood of people who suddenly have to use the replacement movies that didn't need them before.
When you are making a unique "mod" like Last Resort we always have to aim for the least tech-savvy person and the lazy person who can't be bothered to read.