Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

The classic movie crash...

• jac
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #2091 by jac
Replied by jac on topic The classic movie crash...
Nope, still not working with the specific DirectX version you gave me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #2092 by Slippery Jim
Okay this is another post of me thinking out loud.  Hopefully it won't confuse matters.

The problem you are having remind me of the issue I had with running Swat 2 also bought on GOG.    Basically it was a permission problem with "dplayx.dll" that was stopping the playing of the videos.   Once I installed re-encoded videos and then gave this .dll permission then the game worked for me.

Now, I am not even sure you have this file with your version of Windows 7.   You can check if it exists if you wish:  ""C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dplayx.dll"

You can read about this Swat 2 fix in the link below:
www.swat3lastresort.info/index.php/swat-2-startup-crash-fix

I googled and found a thread about someone else having a problem with this file with another game:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/foru...7b-bb2b-27a44cd13b02

Quote from that link:

The ‘dplayx.dll’ file is one of many files contained in the DirectX. Since DirectX is utilized by most Windows based games and advanced graphics programs, the errors related to this file would occur when trying to play games.

I am not recommending you download and install anything.    Just curious if you have that file.   Even if you don't have that file it still could mean that this problem is similar in nature to this.

More
3 years 2 months ago #2093 by Slippery Jim

jac wrote:

• Can your machine switch to a desktop resolution of 640x480
Not the desktop, (limited to 800x600) but the game in its vanilla state runs at 640x480, i even checked the format with a screenshot, the problem should not be related to the resolution...

Swat 3 first switches your desktop to 640x480 to play the movies and then switches to 800x600 for the actual game. One of my laptops first gave the DirectX error with Swat 3 but when I enabled lower resolutions in the driver the error went away.

jac wrote: [*]What video card do you have Amd/Nvidia and model

Nvidia GEforce GTX 1060 3gb

I updated the summary of what we know a few posts back with this new information. I doubt the resolution is the issue now with that video card.

New Question: Is the system we are trying to fix a laptop or a desktop?
New Question: Is your Windows 7 a 64-bit version or 32?

jac wrote: I can read the Xvid version, and the Mpeg4 Version you gave me, but the original file is not displaying, i have only the sound. However, i noticed that the Xvid version is not the same intro as the two other... why is that ?

When they released the GOG/Steam version they used an updated Sierra logo. I prefered the original logo so that it was I re-encoded.

One thing that we should confirm is that you can properly play the XVID and MPEG4 versions of the videos outside of the game. Please try to run these videos by themselves with Windows Media Player. Don't use third party apps like VLC to play the video since we want a more accurate test.

• jac
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #2094 by jac

Swat 3 first switches your desktop to 640x480 to play the movies and then switches to 800x600 for the actual game. One of my laptops first gave the DirectX error with Swat 3 but when I enabled lower resolutions in the driver the error went away.

I can assure you that my game is currently set to 640x480 and runs at 640x480 witout any doubts, i took a screenshot in a mission and checked the screeshot resolution, and it was indeed 640x480.

Is the system we are trying to fix a laptop or a desktop?
Is your Windows 7 a 64-bit version or 32?

Desktop windows 7 - 64 bits

One thing that we should confirm is that you can properly play the XVID and MPEG4 versions of the videos outside of the game. Please try to run these videos by themselves with Windows Media Player. Don't use third party apps like VLC to play the video since we want a more accurate test.

I can play the Xvid files and the Mpeg4 file you gave me perfectly fin IN windows media player.
However, im not able to see the video of the original video files in windows media player, i have only the sound.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #2095 by Slippery Jim

jac wrote: I can assure you that my game is currently set to 640x480 and runs at 640x480 witout any doubts, i took a screenshot in a mission and checked the screeshot resolution, and it was indeed 640x480.

I was referring to the 2D menus since they can only run at 800x600. I never thought to check the 3D resolution, lol. Good job we can count that out for sure as the problem. I suspected it wouldn't be once you said your video card model.

jac wrote: Desktop windows 7 - 64 bits

Thanks! Added the data to the summary.

jac wrote: I can play the Xvid files and the Mpeg4 file you gave me perfectly fin IN windows media player.
However, im not able to see the video of the original video files in windows media player, i have only the sound.

Perfect, that was what I suspected. Thanks again for doing all these tests.

Everything seems to point to a permission problem like I had with Swat 2.

Any chance you can check if you have the file "dplayx.dll" that I mentioned a few posts back? I know it is a shot in the dark.

Look in "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dplayx.dll" if the file exists please.

If I recall Swat 2 (released 1998) used roughly the same generation of DirectX (specificially Direct Draw) as Swat 3 (released 1999).  It is only logical that the error could be related.

• jac
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #2096 by jac

Any chance you can check if you have the file "dplayx.dll" that I mentioned a few posts back? I know it is a shot in the dark.
Look in "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dplayx.dll" if the file exists please.

Yes, i forgot to mention about that.
I have this file indeed, i checked the permission of the file and they where limited, i changed the permission to ALL acces for that file but that changed nothing... could you give more info about that file ? should i delete it ?

Also, one more information, i bought SWAT 2 and the movies cannot be read, however, the game dosent crash i just get a message : "Movie couldt be read."

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.775 seconds