Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Deteriorating Performance (Windows 10)

More
3 years 3 months ago #1893 by Aehnkantos
I recently picked up SWAT 3 off of GoG and am confident that I have followed the install guide for Last Resort to the letter. The greatest success was achieved using dg-Voodoo and it was using that utility that I am experiencing an issue that I have been unable to find anything about online. When I launch the game it starts off well: smooth framerate, no issue. But as time goes on I've noticed choppy behavior that steadily increases until it becomes unplayable. Now what I find interesting is that this behavior persists across seperate launches of the game and only is resolved when I reboot my whole pc!

This is pure conjecture, but performance seems to get worse depending on how often the game goes from 3d to 2d. It also seems to ramp up when a CS grenade is used, but then again it could just be more noticeable since I usually have also just gone dynamic and am in combat and thus more aware of the issue. I have completely reinstalled the game, Last Resort, and tried the WineD3D fix, but that fails to launch. I've done the same for DxWnd and while that launches, I now understand why you have deemed it your last resort (pun intended).

For reference I am using a 1080TI and attempting to run at 1440@144.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #1895 by Slippery Jim
Hi there. Welcome to the site.

I haven't seen that issue with dgVoodoo myself. I am wondering if it could be a setting in dgVoodoo itself? The creater of that app is always updating it and I find it hard to keep up with my guide for it. To be honest many of the new features he has added I haven't researched yet since it has doubled in complexity.

Perhaps it could even be a problem with his newer versions of DgVoodoo? Perhaps falling back to an older version might fix it?

Sorry I can't be of much use in this area. I have only updated my DgVoodoo once and that was so I could update the guide on this website. It is overdue for another serious re-write when I get a chance.

Of course if anyone in the community wants to take up the mantle and become the dgVoodoo "expert" for Swat 3 I would be more than happy to publish their guide ;)

More
3 years 3 months ago #1897 by Aehnkantos
I have rolled back dgVoodoo back to the version listed in the guide and it seems to have done the trick! It's not as smooth overall but the performance doesn't seem to be dropping over time. Thanks for the advice.

More
3 years 3 months ago #1898 by DarkSynopsis
dgVoodoo very much seems to come down to hardware, settings and even version.

I haven't changed mine from 2.54 since newer versions seemed to have issues with AMD cards, at least when I last tried, though doing some reading it seems with the latest version and using D3D12 for rendering it fairs better, at least for some games, would have to test SWAT.

I haven't seen much need to change though, mainly using dgVoodoo to fix up the FPS any other features it does was just a bonus.

More
3 years 3 months ago #1899 by Slippery Jim
This is what someone posted about AMD cards on the GOG.com forums.  Perhaps this may help your AMD issue DarkSynopsis?:

White textures are caused by the infamous "AMD Bug".

Dege has no intention of fixing it, hes quite content blaming AMD rather than dealing with the fact that their drivers changed and won't ever go back.

You need to use DX12 rendering only in the newest dgvoodoo build, you also need to use fast memory access in the directx tab, this should fix it.

Otherwise you'd need to downgrade to dgvoodoo 2.54.

More
3 years 3 months ago #1900 by DarkSynopsis
Using DirectX 12 Rendering does seems to fix the white textures bug.

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 2.627 seconds