Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

difference at bullet hole grouping

More
3 years 11 months ago #1532 by Higgins
Hello,
i hope some one can help with my problem.

i have noticed a differences when it comes to bullet holes grouping on different surfaces.
the screenshot will hopefully help to explain what i am trying to say.
[L.A. center (day) map]
imgur.com/a/aOywgY1

top left corner you can see the holes can overlap (wc room) that is what i am looking for.
top right hand side you should see its a calculated pattern. (big hall)
and the picture below with my red marking dosnt show any bulletholes (room E 1st floor)
~ 90% of time i didnt saw any bullet marking when i stood calm infront of it.

tested only with LR mod. same weapon/distance use for all test.

any idea what exactly caus this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #1533 by Copy-Cat
There are 4 factors that affect the bullet impacts that I can think of.
1. Type of bullet used and its velocity, and decal impacts data in the ammodefs.dat of the mod used
2. Impact and exit decals are different for each material.
3. The angle it impact the material affects the size of the decal also.
4. The material the bullet impacts. When the map was created a file called the mission.dat is used to determine what materials behave like when impacted by a bullet. for example [glass], [Carpet], [Plaster], [Default]. These map properties cannot be modified in any of the maps because you have to incorporate this file in your final build of the map's scn. This requires you to have the rmf or .map file to build, and missions are rarely released with these source files.

As far as why they are in a grid pattern, I don't know. I assumed you shot the bullets in this manner.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #1534 by Higgins
um no i didnt shoot exaclty in this manner.
sorry i knew i should point that fact out.

there was zero movement (keyboard & mouse)
infront of the wall while shooting.

1st pattern starts with 4 holes like a square. (sometimes few holes appear above or belove in addition.)
after i moved a bit to the side and repeat the shooting.
another 4-5 hole appeared and it used to connect to the previous i have made.

my problem is i cant place other bullet holes between the pattern.
they will match perfect with the previous hole from the strange pattern.
its always the same space between the holes.
i didnt choose it.

9mm
all tree amo types hp act the same way. didnt tested with fmj.
but i doubt it gonna be different. its a simple test everyone can do it in less than 2 min.

i know about ammodefs.dat files. but since i worked with it many times/day/weeks ect ect i didnt thought its gonna be the location for my problem.
i cant find anything which cleary is the solution thast why i had to ask.
effect data entry/exit holes i am aware aswell like the matirial stuff for map builders.

btw.: if i move or not its always the same result.

hope its clear enough to understand
and thanks for he quick reply.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #1535 by Copy-Cat
Ah..... I see the what is going on. Thanks for clarifying it.

I'm looking into it. I'm going to create a test map for this purpose.
It will have all materials used in swat lined up and ready to test, with names of the materials and [categories] in the dat file.

Get back to ya soon.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #1536 by Slippery Jim
I assume that different bullet hit decals required slightly different code to spread them out for appearance sake. This larger bullet decal required more space so they don't overlap? Purely a cosmetic choice by the developers? The mod certainly doesn't mess with things like that.

On a side note: Every time I see that replacement door texture in that map I cringe. It is the wrong sort of door handle and should be a push bar instead. Has been on my "To Do" list for a while. Can't wait to get back to making new textures.

More
3 years 11 months ago #1545 by Higgins
@CC

afaik standart swat3 has already a trainig map with different materials for shooting tests.
not sure if this would be enough for your personal preference.

@Sj

since you mention it yes the handle always kinda looked strage to me, but didnt knew what it was.
i think its still the size or shape what irritates me the most. but its fine for me.

i didnt want to say it has something to do with your mod, its just that there are not many ppl to ask.

i also have the feeling it has something with the code but i am not an expert.

added NEW screenshots bc the 1st picture i have posted has only examples were both sides looks like the same pattern only with different decals. it was a bad example.

but i think you aleady understood my problem correct
anyway here it comes
better save than sorry

imgur.com/a/dpAEz5a

screenshot nr 2 # la center map:

on the left side (inside bus) the yellow vertical lines should show the variation of space between the holes.

same decals like on my 1st post but without such obvious pattern.
looks only slighy like a pattern.

(thats how i want it but the example on the right side should show the way i want it more clearly than the left one)

right side @ wc room

i can also place holes with different space.
in any order
like 30% or 50 % overlapping for example.

the red line is longer than the orange. and the lines are parrallel to eachother.
mb i didnt hit exactly the center when drawing the line but i think it still show a visible difference.

(thats exactly what i am looking for)

mb you can see the edge of the texture close to the holes but thats not my problem.

the 3rd screenshot:

just the main gate with green texture that has the type of holes i want to get rid off.

less LTL amo has a different effect/pattern on the SAME surface,BUT i need to do more tests to be sure bc i already forgot the resulst and i dont want to guess around.

reminds me on a tactile alphabet in some way.
the pattern is a bit too obvious for my taste if all the holes work this way.

i hope my text dosnt became to confusing.

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds