Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Play Swat3 online with NeuWon - pt3

• S4
More
4 years 1 month ago #1335 by S4
Yeah sometimes it takes me a couple of attempts to connect.

Also watch out if you have the GOG or Steam version. I don't think they had the ability to issue any new keys and multiplayer was believed to be dead and buried at that time. So they just issued the same key over and over... because for the first time in years I got the message "CD Key In Use" when trying to connect...

Fortunately I have an actual physical copy of the game. So I was able to switch to that key and sidestep the issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #1336 by Slippery Jim
You saying we are going to have CD key issues with multiplayer? (with Steam and GOG copies).

I see the key in the Steam folder. There is a file called "Swat3.reg" that you can open in notepad. Can anyone compare it to mine? I assume they are all identical.

First two hex numbers are: 56,45
Last two hex numbers are: c4,f1

Update: I don't see a CD key for my GOG.com version in the directory or in the Windows registry.

More
4 years 1 month ago #1337 by DarkSynopsis
Hmm I did have a CD-Key error the other day but my connection didn't go through fully so I assumed maybe I was sitting in the lobby even though I didn't fully connect, maybe it was just someone else was on?

Anything on the NuWON side that could disable a CD-Key check?

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #1338 by Slippery Jim
What version of the game were you on when you had the error? GOG, Steam or CD?

DarkSynopsis wrote: Anything on the NuWON side that could disable a CD-Key check?

Nothing on the Swat server itself (that I know of). Once we gather a little more info about this problem I will contact Ben, the owner of NeuWon, and let him know of our issue.

I vaguely remember something about Ben working on having different CD keys long ago. Maybe he already anticipated this and we will need to replace the key we use. Maybe not possible on Steam version?

Technical Note:

The location of the key that Steam uses can be found below in the Windows 10 registry. Not sure if GOG.com also uses it. It is same key as we see in the Swat3.reg file mentioned two posts back (this is a file that Steam support recommends using if a user has a key error in single player)

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\WON\CDKeys

Update: this is where the CD version stores the key also

Q: What's the Wow6432Node under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE registry subkey?

A: The Wow6432 registry entry indicates that you're running a 64-bit version of Windows. The OS uses this key to present a separate view of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE for 32-bit applications that run on a 64-bit version of Windows. When a 32-bit application queries a value under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\<company>\<product> subkey, the application reads from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\<company>\<product> subkey.

More
4 years 1 month ago #1339 by DarkSynopsis

Slippery Jim wrote: What version of the game were you on when you had the error? GOG, Steam or CD?

Using the GoG Version, looks like my key is the same as your previous post based on the hex values at least.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #1340 by DomeShot
When I created an account for NeuWon online for SWAT3 his system assigned me a CD key other than my origininal physical copy from when SWAT3 was first released. I had to use the one his system assigned me. From what I remember he did that to fix the CD key replicates if two people had the same CD key and tried logging in at the same time. So he assigns them himself to fix the issue. On the NeuWon website when I log in it gives me a tab at the left side that says "Registered CD Keys" and when I click it my key comes up. So when I reinstall SWAT3 I always use that key and have never had a problem. But it's also the physical copy.

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds